Parts Help

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Parts Help
From: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 20:41:15 -0500
I am rebuilding the motor in my 1980 MGB LE and started to make a parts
list. I have two questions that some of you who have done the same might
have experience with:
1) The "heat shield" behind my ZS carb is( what's left of it) molded
asbestos. Moss lists a replacement for $74.95. Can that be correct? Is
there a more reasonable source or substitute replacement available? Mine
is about 1/2 deteriorated and knowing the propensity of these carbs to
catch fire from the cat right below I want to provide the best
protection possible.
2) Moss also lists 2 piston sets; one is the 8.0:1 compression ratio and
the other is 8.7:1 compression ratio. They list for the same price
($199.95). Can I use the higher compression pistons, I assume they are
flat tops, without them interfering with the valves when they reach tdc?
Has anyone used these 8.7:1 pistons in lieu of the stock 8.0:1 pistons?
Are there any other problems associated with installing the higher
compression pistons? Thanks for your time and, I hope, assistance!
Frank "Swamp Yankee" Krajewski

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///