RE: Parts Help

To: "'frank krajewski'" <frankk@intap.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Parts Help
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 09:09:26 -0800
Frank:

1.  The heat shield is now made out of a high temperature plastic material
that is pretty much bulletproof.  Costs are high because it is an item
unique to the later US market and hence has slow sales.  Tooling and
inventory costs have to be included in the selling price.

2.    The octane of available unleaded fuel during the 70s required a low
compression engine in US markets.  Now unleaded fuel of higher octane is
readily available and it is recomended that the higher compression pistons
be used to take advantage of the slight performance improvement.  The 8.7:1
compression pistons were stock for most markets except the US and feature a
slight dish.  No engine modifications are required although there is
potential for more improvement by tuning the carb. and distributor.

Kelvin.

> 1) The "heat shield" behind my ZS carb is( what's left of it) molded
> asbestos. Moss lists a replacement for $74.95. Can that be correct? Is
> there a more reasonable source or substitute replacement
> available? Mine
> is about 1/2 deteriorated and knowing the propensity of these carbs to
> catch fire from the cat right below I want to provide the best
> protection possible.
> 2) Moss also lists 2 piston sets; one is the 8.0:1
> compression ratio and
> the other is 8.7:1 compression ratio. They list for the same price
> ($199.95). Can I use the higher compression pistons, I assume they are
> flat tops, without them interfering with the valves when they
> reach tdc?
> Has anyone used these 8.7:1 pistons in lieu of the stock
> 8.0:1 pistons?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///