RE: Mg's back to the US....???

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mg's back to the US....???
From: "Phil Vanner" <phil@outtech.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:11:04 -0600
I saw the article in Automobile and I saw the cars in St. Paul last year.
The cars they had over here weren't quite as flashy as what I've seen since
in the press.

The impression I had at at MG2001 and this was reinforced by the article was
that they were looking to bring the sedans over, not somuch the MGF. From
talking with the Rover guys I thought this was becasue the sedans are where
the money is for Rover.

They were asking people at MG2001 to fill in surveys to respond the cars.
>From a biased group of MG enthusiasts the reaction was, of course,
favorable. Surprisingly, though my wife, who isn't much of a car person,
wanted one; so they may be on to something with the crowd who wants
something a little different.

As for bringing over the MGF (now TF) I think it passes Swiss crash testing
which is supposedly tougher than ours so they would need only slam a few
into the barriers over here to made the NTSB happy. As for smog, now that
Lotus intends to bring the Elise over in 2003 (with sharply reduced HP) the
K-series motor should soon be "importable" (if that's a word.)

So it's not outside the realm of possibility that we might see a more
affordable MG sports car, but inthe same issue of Automobile they had an
article on the proposed Dodge Razor. Turbo 4cyl, 210 rear-drive horsepower,
2000 lbs, Benz-derived suspension: target price $15K. If they'll sell me a
Razor like that I'll shave everyday. A detoxed F at twice the price wouldn't
stand a chance in the market.

Phil Vanner
Minneapolis