Re: help a new A owner

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: help a new A owner
From: Betti Ann & Preston Smith <prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:16:24 -0400
Jim - I pulled an MGA from Toronto to Halifax with a 4-wheel U-Haul
trailer.  It worked like a champ.

In spite of all of the good advice you get here, contact both Canadian (for
export requirements) and US (for import requirements) well before you make
the trip.  I suggest you get the exact documentation requirements and
request if there are any time lines involved.  For instance, to export a
car from the US one must have his paperwork at the port of exit at least 72
hours before one crosses the border.

It is a simple process if one gets the info from the horse's mouth(and
records the name of the agent you talk to and when you talked to him)

Preston

At 07:51 AM 2/12/02, you wrote:
> >From: "Jim" <jandr95@starband.net>
> >To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
> >Subject: help a new A owner
> >Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:58:38 -0500
> >
> >I've been lurking for the last 4-5 months without wheels but now I've
> >finally bought an MGA, a beautiful red 58. I couldn't be more excited.
> >However, I have to figure out how to get it from Toronto to Michigan (via
> >the Sarnia/Port Huron border) Assuming I can't drive it because it's not
> >wearing my plates yet, I was going to rent one of those U-Haul two-axle
> >trailers and tow it over the border.  I swear you guys had a discussion
> >about the U-Haul trailer recently but I can't find it and there's no way to
> >search the archives.  Help me out here. Does the A fit easily?  Any
> >problems
> >getting it on the trailer? How about crossing the border? Any tips that
> >will
> >make it go smoother? Thanks. I'm dying to get the car here so I can stare
> >at
> >it for two months while waiting for spring.
> >
> >Jim Plegue
> >58 A (almost

---
Betti Ann & Preston Smith, Head of St Margaret's Bay, NS,
prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca
1962 MGA 1600 MK II, 1980 MGB Limited Edition
2002 Damon Challenger 335, 1993 Nissan Altima (Toad)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///