Re: Shipping a hardtop

To: <steveb5815@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shipping a hardtop
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:29:52 -0500
> Hi All,
> I am trying to find out the best way to ship an MGB hardtop. I
> have one up on eBay now, figuring it shouldn't be too difficult to
> get a price thru work to ship it. Well, it is more difficult that I
> thought. I finally got the shipper to get me a price from Yellow
> Freight to ship it  to Alabama and it was over $300.

> Steve Bettencourt
> '79 MGB

Steve,

The key to getting items shipped cheaply via freight is to inquire about
"depot to depot" shipping.  That involves you dropping the item off at the
shipping depot, and also the purchaser picking it up at one.  For Yellow
Freight prices, this can reduce them as much as 66%.  Alternatively, call
Forward Air ( http://www.forwardair.com ) and ask what their price on depot
to depot shipping...  it will be cheap.

I shipped a TR6 hardtop from Philadelphia to El Paso for $60 in a wooden
crate that had a total weight of 200lbs!  It arrived in El Paso in 5 days.
I had another company ship me an OD gearbox from Kansas City to Philadelphia
for under $50, also arrived in about a week.

Forward Air has fewer depots across the country than Yellow, but both have
depots located in all major metropolitan areas (Forward's are generally near
large airports).  Yellow has more local depots, so they may be more
convenient.

Good Luck,

Kai

///