Backfire through carb

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Backfire through carb
From: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:12:10 -0600
Hello All,

I am having a problem with backfiring through my carb. My car did not do
this a year ago, but I left for 8 months (national guard stuff) and
haven't really driven it much until recently. Now, when the engine is
cold, under load, or I am really getting into the throttle it sputters,
backfires through the carb, and robs the engine of power. Since it is
backfiring through the carb, then I must have an intake valve that is not
fully shutting before the mixture is ignited and burned, right? I did
have a problem setting my valve clearances about a year and a half ago
(it seems that valve #6 wouldn't fully open so I couldn't set #3, but I
can't remember for sure). What could be causing this? A bad cam, lifters,
or some other valve problem? What kind of repair might be needed? Is it
something that my friend and I (moderate and modest mechanical repair
experience, respectively) can tackle?

Thanks in Advance,

Edwin
'77 B

"I'm tryin' to think but nuthin' happens."
-- Curly Howard (the stooge)

Check out The MG Filling Station at:
http://members.fortunecity.com/mowogmg

///