Re: Backfire through carb

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Backfire through carb
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:44:39 -0600
"M. Edwin Vaughan" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am having a problem with backfiring through my carb. My car did not do
> this a year ago, but I left for 8 months (national guard stuff) and
> haven't really driven it much until recently. Now, when the engine is
> cold, under load, or I am really getting into the throttle it sputters,
> backfires through the carb, and robs the engine of power. Since it is
> backfiring through the carb, then I must have an intake valve that is not
> fully shutting before the mixture is ignited and burned, right? I did
> have a problem setting my valve clearances about a year and a half ago
> (it seems that valve #6 wouldn't fully open so I couldn't set #3, but I
> can't remember for sure). What could be causing this? A bad cam, lifters,
> or some other valve problem? What kind of repair might be needed? Is it
> something that my friend and I (moderate and modest mechanical repair
> experience, respectively) can tackle?

I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out to be just a lean mix. Is the
choke working?

Too rich mix can often cause backfiring through the exhaust, usually
on over-run, but backfiring through the carb is almost always from a
lean mix.

Not using the choke will usually cause this until the engine warms
up.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com