Why I bother with the alarm (and thank you all!)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Why I bother with the alarm (and thank you all!)
From: "Morten Agnor" <jagsterr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:14:11 +0100
Thanks to you all for all the kind responses to my original "Installing
alarm and actuators" posting! All suggestions will be regarded, and I've
replyed to some of you off-list.

I see a lot of messages that says: "Why bother installing a alarm...". I'll
tell you why. My insurance company has a policy that says that if your car
has an alarm, there is no deductible (the money you have to pay of the
insurance company compensation) in case of vandalism, your car is stolen or
anything is stolen from the car. This makes a good business case to me,
since the deductible usually is 300$-500$, same price of top range remote
controlled alarm system with actuator control. The premium is also 5% less
when the alarm is installed and the car is parked in a garage.

My car is worth about 12.500$ here in Norway, and I've put a lot of time and
money into turning it into what it is today. I'm also a bit scared of the
general safety as I said; "one day I couldn't find the keys I used a
paperclip to unlock the car(!), ". Can you people image putting that amounth
of money into a car and then leave it to simple office supply if someone
want to joyride it? Also, my office is in the downtown dockside area, an
area known for some dubious characters, and the parking space is neither
illuminated ("lit") or video guarded after working hours, and I tend to work
a lot of late hours to afford the car :)

And when it comes to having a stereo or not, I do think it is necessary, but
I think the next stereo will have a removeable front plate (thanks for the
tip!).

Morten