Re: Electric MG's

To: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electric MG's
From: barneymg@ntsource.com
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 00:30:00 -0600
At 05:06 PM 2/26/02 -0500, Aeseeyou@aol.com wrote:
>.... ZEV-2002 is a fictional car. Too bad it isn't real.

Well there is a real electric MGA.  Check here:
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/members/barneymg/uta_mga

I had a small hand in a bit of consulting on the project while it was being
built by engineering students at University of Texas, Arlington.  There was
a whole lot more technical information and some more
pictures.  Unfortunately I lost a bunch of e-mail records with a computer
crash, and about the same time the university took down the project web
site as the project was winding down.  Presumably the project manager has a
CD with the entire web site on it, but I haven't been able to get them to
cough it up yet.

No fuel cell involved here, and no hybrid, just lots of batteries.  It has
a 50HP AC traction motor and regenerative bracking.  The electric motor
drives through the original 4-speed gearbox, so driving it is a lot like
driving a gasoline powered MGA, including using the original clutch.  I
believe it weighs about 2400 pounds.  It easily burns rubber around the
parking lot, and the regenerative braking works so well that the upgraded
brakes don't get used much.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg