Re: Small Tin Worm Hole in Trunk Floor

To: <Priveye997@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Small Tin Worm Hole in Trunk Floor
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 23:23:43 -0000
Hi, John

There is another way, depending on how big the hole in the boot floor
extends.

1. Drop the tank out altogether.
2. Make the hole circular, by chain-drilling and filing or by using a Dremel
or similar.
3. Paint the cut edges.
4. Fit a rubber or plastic grommet (bung) - the largest B one is proabably
the gearbox filler hole size.
5. Reassemble

Assuming the hole - once back to good metal, is not massive, this is a valid
fix for an area that is hardly structural.

All the best,

David Hill
'72 BGT
York UK

> I have discovered a small rust hole in my trunk (boot) floor. It seems
that the PO painted the trunk with that trunk paint, the kind with black and
grey flecks and it looked fine. When I removed the spare tire I saw where
the paint was buckeling from rust!!!

> I scrapped the entire floor and found this small hole and lots of surface
rust along with some pitting. I then painted the floor with POR-15.

> Short of replacing the floor or cutting out the cancer, what else can I do
or have I done it all?

> Thanks,
>
> John
> '68 B