Re: steering wheel repositioning

To: aschneider@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: steering wheel repositioning
From: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:29:16 -0600
I own a '77 B and tried all the conventional list wisdom to get my
steering wheel off. I tried pushing with my knees; pulling; tapping the
shaft whilst pulling; cursing it out; a gear puller (which bent the
wheel); penetrating fluid; more pulling and more cursing. Hopefully it
won't come to this for you (definitely try all the pushing and pulling
techniques first), but if it still doesn't budge then you may have to do
what I did. I took the column out. Soaked the shaft/wheel in PBlaster for
2 days, removed the wiper switch, put the shaft in a vise and beat the
living...um...heck outta the back side of the wheel with a rubber mallet
until it popped off. Of course, I did all this to replace a broke turn
signal/high beam/horn switch. I susbsequentally broke it when I tried to
remove the wheel again because I had put it on slighty crooked. I plan on
replacing it one day and I will break out the mallet, vise, et al. BTW, I
had to buy a used steering wheel (from British Miles, are they still
around? I haven't bought anything from them in probably 2 years) to
replace the one I battered.

Like I said, hopefully your wheel won't be so stubborn.

Good luck,

Edwin
'77 B

"I'm tryin' to think but nuthin' happens."
-- Curly Howard (the stooge)

Check out The MG Filling Station at:
http://members.fortunecity.com/mowogmg

On Sun, 03 Mar 2002 Aubrey Schneider wrote:

> would ask any lister for advice on removal &
> re-positioning the wheel.

> Bye for now
> Aubrey in Vancouver

///