Re: steering wheel repositioning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: steering wheel repositioning
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 18:20:16 -0700
At 05:29 PM 3/3/2002 -0600, M. Edwin Vaughan wrote:
>I own a '77 B and tried all the conventional list wisdom to get my
>steering wheel off. I tried pushing with my knees; pulling; tapping the
>shaft whilst pulling; cursing it out; a gear puller (which bent the
>wheel); penetrating fluid; more pulling and more cursing.

But first, Paul Hunt said - "Brace your knees behind the wheel so as to
apply pressure in
an 'off-ward' direction, then tap the shaft with a medium hammer.  Should
pop off."

If only it was so easy. I almost replied at Paul's initial reply except I
was busy on a work project. Sure it is Sunday and I should work on my major
reconstruction project, a 72B, which is going very slow.

I've done two steering wheel removals. Each required a gear puller. On my
71BGT, the gear puller bent but the wheel came off.  It was a cheap gear
puller though. years later, the 72B was another matter - I finally ended up
having to buy a quality gear puller. I soaked the spline area with various
penetrating fluids (PB Blaster, Busty). Finally after a few weeks of
soaking, I put the gear puller to its task. This time the gear puller held
firm but the steering wheel bent - but it popped off. Not a big deal though
because the steering wheel was very weathered and needed replacing anyway.

So in short - maybe the steering wheel will "pop" off, but don't count on it.

David

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///