Re: now racing cars

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: now racing cars
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:10:18 -0800
Word on the street is Max Heim said:
> At the time (1970s), there was no question that a stock 914 had a better
> power-to-weight ratio than a stock Midget (1973 Midget = 29.6lb/hp, 914/1.7
> = 28.2lb/hp) -- and was better handling, too. But the Spridget seems to be
> remarkably amenable to tweaking, and I'm sure it's cheaper and easier to
> make big improvements in both categories starting with the simpler platform,
> than with the relatively sophisticated and more expensive Porsche... thus
> explaining the current relative racing status.

I think the operative word is "cheaper" - I know you can fairly easily
get 200+ hp out of the 914 motor with overboring etc but the cost is,
with all things German, quite dear.  Likewise, its fairly easy to swap
911 brakes etc into a 914 but again the cost is considerable!!

Not to mention Spridgets have had 30+ years of racing development while
the 914 has been somewhat ignored due to its dodgy lineage...

Skye

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///