Re: Junk Yard Titles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Junk Yard Titles
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:28:03 -0600
Denise Thorpe wrote:

> Henry D. Reynolds asked:
>
> > I don't get it. What is to stop me from going to the DPS (in Texas) w/ a
> > CA car that has or hasn't been in a junkyard and saying "I need a title
> > for this VIN?
>
> It's illegal for the junk yard to sell the car to you.  They may even
> remove the VIN plate.  But even if you got possession of the car and the
> VIN plate, the CA DMV has a record that the car has been junked.  I have
> trouble believing that you can register a car in Texas without any proof
> that you bought it because then there'd be nothing to stop people from
> registering stolen cars.  Even a mechanic's lien requires that the previous
> owner be found and notified.  Any investigation of the car's history by VIN
> would lead back to the CA DMV and they would say that that car can't be
> registered.  Whether or not Texas would pay any attention to this is
> something I don't know.

I used to know a small town near here where the agent would put an
official Oklahoma title and tag on your Skateboard or Poodle or
girlfriend if you paid her the customary ten buck tip. No questions
asked or answered.

This old lady is now spending her last years as a Guest of the
State, but none of her thousands of willing customers has ever been
mentioned..

Like heroin or crank dealers, this enterprise obviously hasn't
stopped; it has just moved on or moved over. I don't have a need for
these services now, or a willingness to use them, so I haven't kept
track of the new locations, but if I ever really needed them, to
save a special car from the clutches of the bureaucracy or
something, I know where to find out where to find them.   ;)

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm