Re: Junk Yard Titles

To: xyzabcde@earthlink.net, mgs@autox.team.net, hdr@jump.net
Subject: Re: Junk Yard Titles
From: JERTIGGER2@cs.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:59:49 EST
In a message dated 3/15/02 10:56:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
xyzabcde@earthlink.net writes:

> It's illegal for the junk yard to sell the car to you.  They may even
> remove the VIN plate.  But even if you got possession of the car and the
> VIN plate, the CA DMV has a record that the car has been junked.  I have
> trouble believing that you can register a car in Texas without any proof
> that you bought it because then there'd be nothing to stop people from
> registering stolen cars.  Even a mechanic's lien requires that the previous
> owner be found and notified.  Any investigation of the car's history by VIN
> would lead back to the CA DMV and they would say that that car can't be
> registered.  Whether or not Texas would pay any attention to this is
> something I don't know.

Some states exempt cars that are over 10 years old from a lot of the normal
tittle stuff.The Lotus I bought had been setting in a garage for over 10
years , no title.
I had it registered in another state with such exemption and the registered
in my home state.

There are companies that will do that for you.
You sign the car over to them, they register it and then sign it back to you,
you then get a title with the registration form the other state.

Jerry Rein

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///