RE: 4-synchro in early B

To: "'Max Heim'" <mvheim@attbi.com>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 4-synchro in early B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:57:35 -0800
Max:

        I may have run into an answer here.  I have not had a problem with
the two conversions I did on 1965 chassis's.  I installed a number of
different engine/trans combinations with new and used motor mounts.  But, I
always installed the engine and trans as an assembly.

        The last time I pulled the engine on my race car I left the trans in
place.  When attempting to reinstall the engine, I found that the nose of
the trans would not lift up high enough to allow the engine to engage.
Bumping out the trans tunnel edge just above the starter lump was required
to solve the problem.

        The clearance to the starter bump is tight, and I can see how it
would not take much in the way of varience for the shell to interfere.  Keep
in mind the tolerance on the welded seams of the shellare not critical and
may vary widely from car to car.

Kelvin.

> Hmm, the point of difference seems to be this "bump-out" for
> the starter.
> Some people have done this, and others (including myself)
> haven't. Let me
> ask you, Norm, did you do this on your own initiative,
> because you noticed
> interference, or was it part of a procedure you heard from
> someone else? I'm
> curious why it sometimes is necessary, but apparently not always...

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///