Re: Head Gasket trick...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Gasket trick...
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:07:24 EST
In a message dated 3/24/02 11:07:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Scott Hower wrote:
> >
> > >I can remember reading an article somewhere about installing a head
> > >gasket on a B series engine using thin copper wires to "enhance" the
> > >seal. Does anyone know about this and where it can be found?

This is old technology, but it works very well in cases where head gaskets
blow under high compression, or there simply isn't enough meat left between
the cylinders for a conventional head gasket, as in some of the large
overbore B's.

Look at:http://www.shanonsracing.com/services2.html#head for a picture of a
head that has been O ringed - you machine it with a pantograph set-up as I
recall.

A nice variation on this is to use polymer coated special sealing rings made
by Wills in the UK - this has been de rigeur with racing Imps for many years,
and they use them today in such interesting engines as the turboed 370 bhp
3.1 VW Golf and the 1000 bhp Viper conversions, either as the sole sealing
mechanism, or if there is room, in conjunction with a gead gasket.

If you use it as the only seal, you also have to separately seal the other
passages between block and head, or 'dry deck' it, a common method in T
series MGs.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list