Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install.

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install.
From: "smarc" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:32:54 -0500
I spent yesterday taking another look at the problems I was having getting
my steering rack lined up after a complete removal of the crossmember. I had
had some difficulty getting the crossmember back in as well. Makes sense to
me now... I noticed the tiniest little kink in the I-beam on the driver side
(the main one that runs the length of the car). This car has had a collision
and the frame is bent, albeit very slightly. Wish I had noticed it before I
pulled the darn thing apart! Anyway, it's a lead-pipe cinch that I'll never
get the rack lined up exactly. After loosening the steering column and toe
plate clamps. I was able to get the shaft and the U-joint mated up. The
wheel turns pretty freely, but I'm not sure if it's free enough. I can turn
it from lock to lock with one finger (car is up on jack stands), but it's a
little noisy, and I can't tell if there's too much stress on the assembly.

I am curious what the collective opinion/advice of the group is regarding
how free the wheel needs to be, or how much stress is too much.

Also, when filling the steering rack with oil, I gather that 90 weight
hypoid gear oil is the thing to use, and the capacity of the rack is small.
I understood it to be only about three ounces. Can anyone confirm this for
me? Also, is that per side, or total for the whole rack?