Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seeking advice on MGB steering rack install.
From: steveb5815@juno.com
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:21:48 -0500
Marc,
I don't believe that the alignment procedure calls out an "ease to turn"
spec at the wheel. It is very specific on how the steering shafts are
supposed to line up. You could do it w/o the special pointers that the
factory used with decent accuracy but it makes the job much easier. If
your car is bent enough for you NOT to be able to align the steering
shafts you have much bigger problems. My B is slightly "tweaked" on the
passenger (right) side and I was able to realign the steering after
replacing the bent crossmember. I used shims as needed which was
different from when I took it apart. Make sure all of the proper rubber
bushing are reinstalled between the crossmember and frame. Good luck.
Remember that your safety is at stake.
Steve Bettencourt
http://www.bmcne.com
webmaster@bmcne.com
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:32:54 -0500 "smarc" <smarc@abs.net> writes:
> I spent yesterday taking another look at the problems I was having
> getting
> my steering rack lined up after a complete removal of the
> crossmember.
>
> I am curious what the collective opinion/advice of the group is
> regarding
> how free the wheel needs to be, or how much stress is too much.
>
> Also, when filling the steering rack with oil, I gather that 90
> weight
> hypoid gear oil is the thing to use, and the capacity of the rack is
> small.
> I understood it to be only about three ounces. Can anyone confirm
> this for
> me? Also, is that per side, or total for the whole rack?
>
> --

///