RE: HIF44

To: "'Paul Root'" <proot@iaces.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: HIF44
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:12:58 -0800
Paul:

        I'm getting a couple of the HIF44 conversions in to test them out.
Knowing Burlen the kit should be a nice bolt on alternative to a worn out
ZF.

        The ZF and HIF when each is correctly set up should be equal in
performance, since they are the same general type of carb.  I don't envision
any kind of real performance increase over a correctly set ZF.  The big
difference is that the HIF44 is a new carb with everything working correctly
rather than a worn out Zenith that may have poorly operating control
systems.

        Twin carbs on an early style manifold will give a performance
increase over either the ZF or HIF on the stock log type intake/exhaust
manifold.  If your emmission rules allow you to modify the car and you feel
comfortable tuning dual carbs, then the early conversion is definitely the
way to go.  There are still many states and areas that require the original
fuel and exhaust system to be in place, plus there are owners who do not
want to do such a conversion.  Although not a legal conversion, chances are
most testing facilities will not notice the change in carburation, so long
as the rest of the system remains intact, though there is the possibility
that the manual choke cable will get you bounced.

        When new the ZF was used because it ran cleaner than the existing
HIF6 as used on the Austin Marina.  The control systems were more advanced
and allowed the tighter controls necessary for the federal long term running
tests.  The tailpipe tests today are nothing like as stringent as the
original manufacture tests.  I would expect the HIF44 to be able to meet the
typical state tailpipe tests as well as a good condition ZF could.

        Back in the eighties, I converted a number of cars to the Marina
HIF6 and even installed the entire Marina manifold assembly without the
testers noticing that the catalytic converter was missing.  The complete
Marina conversion was also a nice bolt on for earlier cars whose owners did
not want to mess with worn out twin carbs.

Kelvin.