Re: Oil Pressure

To: mg-dennis@mindspring.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:39:26 EST
In a message dated 3/29/02 8:24:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mg-dennis@mindspring.com writes:

> What gears are you talking about?  What are the drive gears in the engine?
> The
> only gears I can think of are the ones that drive the oil pump and
> distributor..
> Are you talking about the timing gears?  Iv always called them timing
> sprockets
> and chain.  I didn't think these where oiled by pressure.  I thought they
> got
> there oil from the oil splashing around.  I'm curious about this cause my
> car can
> have 80 - 85 lbs of pressure at speed.

The gears that drive the oil pump!
One is toward the rear of the camshaft and the other is part of the oil pump
drive that mounts in the block.

With high oil pressures, these can soon become razor edged from wear.
There are harder replacements from some Japanese engines, but the point it
that high oil pressures aren't really necessary anyway, as what you need is a
high volume (which the modified pump takes care of). The old saw about 10-15
psi per thousand rpm is no longer in vogue.

Bill