Re: Vacuum hose routing

To: Zach Dorsch <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Vacuum hose routing
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 17:45:56 -0600
At 10:56 AM 4/1/02 -0800, Zach Dorsch wrote:
>.... I set up a page to show how I rerouted the hoses. ....
>http://www.geocities.com/herr_dorsch//hoseroute.html?1017686907510

I will plead innocent of any knowledge of emissions controls and leave that
question to the late model folks.

>.... I ran a compression test today, and all cylinders were at 125,
>shouldn't they be ~160?

Nah, stop worrying.  These things run quite well with 125.  A stock engine
in excellent condition might be 140-145.  160-165 might be for a shaved
head (or lots of carbon in the cylinders), and 175 would be for flat top
pistons (and very high octane fuel rquirement).  If all cylinders are
within 10% and none less than 110 you should just drive it and enjoy
it.  If they vary more than 10% you can have a slightly rough idle.  If any
one cylinder falls below 100 it could be hard to start in cold weather.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and 125-135 compression on a good day)
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg