RE: Vacuum hose routing

To: <herr_dorsch@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Vacuum hose routing
From: "Scott Hower" <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 22:34:22 -0500
Zach,

>From the photos, I'm guessing you have a de-smogged B circa 72/73/74.  Or at
least the induction system from a B of this vintage.

The hoses you describe route the partially burned crankcase vapors (aka
blowby) into the carb so they can be recycled and burned.  In order to do
that, you need to splice the Y connector back into the carb hoses and
re-connect them to the front tappet cover.

Here is a photo of where the carb hoses for the crankcase emissions should
be routed:
http://home.att.net/~howersl/carbs.jpg  The air cleaners are removed for a
better view.

The other ports on the intake manifold feed various emission control
widgets.  It appears from the photos that that you no longer have these
widgets installed (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).  However, I would
make sure these ports are tightly sealed - dont just stuff a golf tee into
them.  I'm curious... to where does the hose from the front most fitting
connect?  Running on valve?

FWIW, a compression test should be the first thing you check before even
attempting to tune the carbs.  Consistency is the goal hear, not necessarily
sky-high readings.

As to why you have an interesting mixture, it could be a variety of things:
make sure the jet height is set correctly (about two turns down from flush
as I recall).  Make sure the throttle and fast idle screws are set correctly
(one and a half turns in/down).  Ensure the air flow is correctly balanced.
How tight are your throttle shafts?  Are you doing all of this with the
engine at normal operating temp?  Got oil in the dampers?

If you haven't already got one, a Bentley manual is a great resource and
only costs about $40.

--Scott