HIF questions

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HIF questions
From: "G. Cook" <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:57:41 -0500
Having just spent a few blissful hours cleaning and rebuilding a pair of HIF4s
with which to convert from my Zenith Stromberg on my RBB, I had a few
questions:

1. What is the purpose of the spring loaded doomoflotch on the side that
appears to lift the piston?  When would I ever want to use that?

2. Throttle return springs: the ones on the throttle shafts seem adequate for
torque.  Do I need additional ones that attach to the heat shield?

3. Heat shield.  Mine appears to be made of asbestos impregnated cheese whiz
with metal inserts.  I read a lot about welded ones as if they are supposed to
be steel or maybe a combination.  Pictures are ambiguous.  What are they
supposed to be made of?  If I do use extra throttle springs, I suspect my
cheese whiz heat shield will flex.

4. On the suggestion of a couple listers (thanks) I opted for AAA needles
which are richer.  I will be using K&N filters.  Any special tuning
practices?