Re: HIF questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HIF questions
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 14:17:32 -0500
I installed AAA needles in my recent Zenith->twin-su conversion and they
seem to work fine with solid throttle butterflies, maniflow header and
K&N filters (i lost my catylist and can't find it _anywhere_). Tuning
was no different than usual ( except that it WAS possible to tune the su
carbs in contrast to the Zenith :-)

on a tangential note: when/if replacing the throttle butterflies make
sure that the butterflies seat properly. i was wondering why the back
carb was sucking just a little more air than the front, and I discovered
that the rear carb's throttle plate was not "as closed" as the front. I
loosened the retaining screws and twiddled the plate until it seemed to
seat a little further back(aircleaner-ward) at the top of the throat.

The other "gotcha" was that i found that  the metal tang on the float
could foul the float needle and not allow any fuel into the carbs. I had
to increase(raise the floats) the clearance in order to get the floats
to accept any petrol.

my heat shield was cracked and missing half the insulation. I bought a
new one from moss. PS I had to grind open the carb holes a little so as
not to protrude into the air passage.

I have three(3) springs: one on the lever of the shaft that links the
two throttles together and one on each choke "quadrant". Not too much
spring tension IMHO.

--
  Henry D. Reynolds - System Admin
    mail: hdr@jump.net - phone: 512.448.3617 - cell: 512.699.8658