Re: ZS Confusion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ZS Confusion
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 23:44:32 EDT
Frank Krajewski wrote:

> >At the top of Twist's guidlines is the sentence, ""Lift the
> > piston slightly. If the idle speed rises...etc". That is great and it
> > assumes the engine is running or how else can the the idle speed vary at
> > all? To lift the piston in the ZS carb entails removal of the air
> > cleaner to allow access to the piston. Now my confusion, at the bottom
> > of those same guidelines (Item #3 under "Running Lean") there is a line,
> > "The Stromberg carburretted MGB will not run with the air cleaner
> > removed...." OK, what did  I miss? Let the flaming begin....

No flame intended, but the air cleaner can stay in place - to accomplish
this, all you have to do is unscrew the damper rod and pull it up a bit, then
tilt it to the side which will let you pull up the piston. It will let you
make the same kind of rough mixture setting as with the lifting pins on the
S.U.'s. But Lawrie makes a good point about the other aspects like the CO
valve etc that make setting up the ZS more complicated to do correctly.

Kim Tonry
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA