Weird Crank Pulley Movement

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weird Crank Pulley Movement
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:58:31 +0100
Just wondering if anyone has come across this one before...

Playing with my '72 GT donor yesterday, I spotted that the crank pulley can
be moved by hand, in relation to the crankshaft. The free rotation is about
10 degrees and when the pulley moved, the centre bolt moves with it. It is
definitely not the outer rim that's moving - the damper appears to be OK.

This suggests to me -
The pulley was never tightened and the key has worn or is broken.
The key is the wrong one or...
Worst case - the keyways in the crank and/or pulley are worn.

Any similar experiences? Comments?

Thanks,

David Hill
York, UK.