time or tune first?

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: time or tune first?
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:55:35 -0500
After a 7 month sit I should be ready to restart our 79B in the next few days.
It has not been started since I've converted from electronic ignition to a
points dizzy and rebuilt the ZS carb.
Hopefully the dizzy and the carb needle are situated where the car will at
least start. If not, which one do I start "messing" with first to get it to
start?
If it does start, which do I adjust first the timing (my guess) or the carb?
During the carb rebuild, I adjusted everything to the settings set forth in
the carb manual, but the dizzy I just dropped in until  the drive dog matched
up to the internal notch.
Several listers have suggested that the timing be set more advanced than the
manual says (13 degrees BTDC, I believe). Could some of you VKP's (Very
Knowledgeable Persons), confirm this. I have a new Tach/Dwell meter and a
cheapie timing light but have never used either one. Can I use these to tell
if I'm at 13 degrees since the timing notches on the flywheel (?) are every 5
degrees, or do you just guess. Frank, AKA the "Swamp Yankee", suggested just
experimenting with the timing by driving and adjusting until it starts
pinging.
Wanting to feel the wind in my hair (what's left of it) this weekend!

Monte 79B and 74 1/2 parts car
Kahoka, MO USA