Re: time or tune first?

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: time or tune first?
From: "Telewest" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:20:11 +0100
Valve clearances, points gap/dwell, plug gaps, timing including vacuum (no
leaks!) and centrifugal advance mechanisms.  Carbs last - balance then
mixture.  "90% of SU problems are caused by electrics" as someone once said.
Set the static timing to about 10 degrees BTDC to start with unless you know
the correct specs which depend on the engine number and distributor serial
number (see the web site below and click on 'Spanners' and 'Dizzie Curves'
if you have these).  Where the timing marks are visible from the top they
are at 5 degree intervals.  Make sure you get the plug leads in the right
order (1342 anticlockwise) and the rotor points to No.1 on its compression
(not exhaust) stroke.  SUs have a starting point for mixture adjustment, I
have no experience of the ZS and none is mentioned in Haynes.  Check the
spark at each plug lead unless it fires up right away.  If it doesn't fire
up within about 10 secs take out a plug.  It should not be bone-dry and have
no fuel smell (no fuel) or be soaking wet (too rich).  But too much cranking
on a correct cold-start mixture will wet the plugs.  Adjust it till it
*stops* pinging, I would have said.