Re: Weber Carb and Cooling

To: "Ryan, Wesley" <wryan@giplastek.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber Carb and Cooling
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:46:05 -0500
Hi Wes,
   I can't stand to work another minute today so I am surfing
the Lists.

> Ok Here is just a checking thing. I just got my car repaired
> and it is running great. I have a 76 mgb and a weber carb.

  A Weber DGV, I presume?

> The guy who worked on it plugged off the vacuum advance
> and stated that they run better without it.

   IMHO, he is right if the engine is timed to run WITHOUT the
additional advance that the capsule provides.   From my <limited>
studies, the vacuum advance is of greatest value as a mileage-
improver at mid-throttle and over-run throttle settings.

> Does this sound right or should I give it a try to see if it runs
> better.

   I'd check the static timing first and if you have the equipment,
verify that the centrufugal advance (dynamic timing) is doing it's
job -- and how much advance it is providing.  If your car is
running great, your mechanic probably timed it to operate best
without the advance connected.  Just my two cents...

> also the engine runs a bit hot. somewhere between the n and
> h or the gage. I have a new water pump, radiator, coolant,
> sensor...any thing else I am missing.

   Question or two:
1) Did you replace the <mechanical> thermostat?  If so, what
    temperature unit did you use?   For summer use, you might
    want to use a little cooler thermostat.  Messy but easy to
    change seasonally.
2) Is your car new enough to have electric cooling fans?  Your
    use of the word 'sensor' implies that it does.  At what gauge
    reading do the cooling fans come on?  Does that agree with
    the sensor's rating?  (Read: Is the problem in the engine or in
    the gauge?)
3) Does your oil pressure gauge (or is it the fuel level gauge?)
    also read high?  If so, your voltage regulator may be bad.
    They do fail both ways, open and shorted.

> Wes

best regards,

rick