Re: tonneau

To: Denise Thorpe <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: tonneau
From: "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:28:32 -0500
On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:03:19PM -0400, Denise Thorpe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Good upholstery shops, like Upholstery Fabric Outlet (UFO) in National
> City, CA, have zipper by the foot.  It's under $1 per foot no matter how
> big it is and whether it's metal or plastic.  The zipper pull and end stops
> are sold separately and they're each under $1.  With a tonneau cover, you
> wouldn't need a zipper stop because the vinyl would stop the pull.

I've been wanting to post all evening, but just finally got down stairs.

I went to REI after work today. My Miata friend found a zipper kit, consisting
of 8 or so sliders or 4 or so sizes, 4 closed end and 2 open end stops for $10.
Worth a try.

The instructions said to feed it on the open end and run it down. That
didn't work. So I cut out the closed end, slipped it on and it worked great!

Put the ends on and I got a tonneau again! Oh, I also WD40d it. The shoe
guy said to use liquid graphite, but I haven't found that yet. And my can
of silicon spray is missing.

Anyway, it works great. I didn't do the rear zippers, yet. As they are working
pretty well.

> I have a small upholstery sewing machine, but it's a nightmare to use, so
> if I'm sewing fewer than four layers of vinyl or leather, I just use my
> little Elna Lotus or my old black Singer.  On a tonneau cover zipper, any
> old sewing machine should do.  If you can walk a straight line, you can
> probably sew a straight line.  And if you can put a zipper in, you should
> be able to make your own tonneau cover.

Walk a straight line? I'm in trouble. :-) NI'm going to get a seing
machine lesson sometime soon, I hope.

> UFO also has all of the hardware for tonneau covers, plus they have seat
> belt webbing, piping, headliner material, foam, leather, canvas...sigh...
> There's not much I miss about CA, but the list includes Roberto's
> drive-thru, my machinist, and UFO.  Oh yeah, and my relatives.

I loved Roberto's. I lived in OB and Clairmont back in the late 80s. Been
back a couple times. Roberto's were all sold out. Some are called Royberto's
others are other things. Of course, that was 5 years ago.

Carne Asada burritos, casadillas, and the perfect food, 3 rolled tacos
with gaucamoli.

I think it's time for a road trip. I'm hungry! :-)

Thanks for the info, Denise. That will probably come in handy.

--
Paul T. Root            - CCSA, CCSE, CCNA
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155