Think pink

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Think pink
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:37:51 +0930
My car is tuned the way I like it for fast street stuff (if 'fast' isn't
too much of a stretch for a nearly stock MGB) and some track work.  This
means, however, that she pinks badly and load on fuel under 105 octane.

I run her on AVGAS 105/110 for best results (if I drive carefully she
goes OK with the 98 octane stuff they are now serving from pumps around
the place).

Something I noticed the other day prompts this mail.

When I take off in the morning and the car is cold I naturally don't
push her too hard until she is really up to 'driving temperature'.  The
other morning I needed to put the foot down to avoid someone doing
something silly and I happened to think about her pinking - there was
none even though she was right down in revs (below 2000) when I put the
foot to the floor.  Usually this would sound like I was dragging a chain
down the road.

So, why would she not ping/pink/pinque (!) when cold as she does when
hot/running temperature?

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII