Re: Voltage Regulator Blues / TD Wiring

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Blues / TD Wiring
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:05:14 -0500
Bob:

The wires may be old, but from what I've seen the insulation is a lot
tougher than what passes for insulation today! This is just my personal
opinion.

The master disconnect switch is probably a good idea. I don't have one, but
I've installed in-line fuses on the two battery feed lines that come from
the starter switch. Now everything is fused except for the battery cable.
This runs counter to the battleship-philosophy "damn the wiring, full
headlights away" that our cars were originally designed by. (Critical power
circuits on a battleship are run unfused during battle.)

BTW: General Motors just sent me a recall notice on my late model
Oldsmobile. Evidently my car can catch fire at any time even when unattended
with the ignition off. The fix is relay kit that will prevent high current
from flowing through the ignition switch. Best of all, this kit will be
available at the dealer some time in June! Sounds like the Olds needs that
master disconnect switch  more than my TD!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336