Re: Gasoline / Octane

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasoline / Octane
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:17:14 +0930
"Jason F. Dutt" wrote:

> > I have seen MG owners countless times saying that their car pings
> > on regular,
> > and has to run premium, when all they are really saying is my engine is a
> > carbonned up piece of ______ that won't run without pinging
> > unless I use a
> > higher grade of gas than I should need.
>
> Amen.  And I should know, because my car is one of the carbonned up ones
> (temporarily).

Hey guys... watchit! No carbon build up in this (11+:1) engine (yet).

OK, I am putting my car in the hands of the experts this Saturday.  It
is going on the dyno again and it will be tuned for the 98 octane stuff
they sell at the pumps around here.

AVGAS is getting harder to find and we are only allowed to buy it in
drums/jerry cans (not straight into the car) - and only for track use
(they make us sign a declaration that this is all that we will use it for).

Oh yeah, it also costs 35 Australian cents a litre more than premium at
$1.35 per litre (we pay more for fuel here - 95 to 98 cents per litre
for premium).

I guess I could always go Elf for about $7.00 litre - seems to be
popular with the rally drivers :-)

You guys spoil all my fun - and no need to get nasty about it!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII