Re: Gasoline / Octane

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gasoline / Octane
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:00:07 -0500
A think some MGB owners are incorrectly assuming that they can use regular
just because the engines are four cylinder. The shop manual specifies 98 RON
octane for the HC (8.8:1) engines and 93 RON octane for the LC (8.0:1)
engines. In US (RON+MON)/2 terms, that's 92 octane for the HC and 87 octane
for the LC.

I use premium in all my cars, even my TD. Even though the TD doesn't need
it, I figure the extra octane is a hedge against pre-ignition in the event
the engine overheats or the timing gets out of whack. Does this make sense,
or am I being stupid?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470