diy rear telescopic kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: diy rear telescopic kit
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:09:43 +0300
Hello,
I'd like to see if I can make my own rear telescopic shocker kit for my
73 BGT.

a. Swap LH and RH link plates, turn them upside down and use them as
lower mounting points for the shockers using 1/2" pins.

b. Fabricate thick metal upper mounting points with two 7/16" holes
(where the lever dampers go) and a 1/2" threaded stud between these two
holes for the top shocker eye.

Do you think (a) and (b) will be fine? If so, what specification shock
absorber shall I need? Obviously it will have to have 1/2" eyes at both
ends, but I don't know the length and outside diameter, especially where
it should clear the exhaust pipe.

Any ideas? Pictures?

Evangelos