Hard starting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hard starting
From: "Andy Drake" <adrake@mail.ru>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 17:06:32 +0400
Hello listers!

Spring has sprung and my wife is bugging me about getting our MGB over the the
neighborhood bodyshop to get cleaned up. I had the car started and running a
couple of weeks ago after a long winter nap, and drove it nearly an hour before
I put it back away. I go to start it this weekend, and it cranks and cranks and
cranks...no go, even with a half a tank of gas, a fully topped off battery
(left on charger over night) a little starting fluid and everything. Help!

Here's the setup:

- 1976 'B with Weber conversion kit - manual choke
- New coil, plugs, wires, points, battery (last season)
- New fuel pump, gas tank and filter (last season - can hear pump clicking)
- New alternator belt

To be honest, the car never really did start "on the first pull", it always
took two or three tries to get it rolling. Now I'm afraid whatever made it hard
starting to begin with has set in for good. I have had to replace my alternator
belt as I noticed I could not cinch it up tight enough -- turns out my mechanic
inadvertantly put the wrong size on, which I suspect is due to the missing air
pump.

That leads to one theory - alternator isn't charging enough to keep the battery
topped off to crank it over effectively. Or something. It doesn't seem to be
cranking too slowly at first...where to start!?!

Thanks for the advice!

                         -Andy