Re: Options for lowering CO (emissions)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Options for lowering CO (emissions)
From: Michael Jose <mwjose@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 16:22:23 -0700
Mike,
I've had trouble enough getting my car to pass every year.  I too have a 79,
but I
have the ZS and a cat and a new air pump and gulp valve and egr etc.  After a
tuneup
and leaning out the carb some I passed with 0.32% CO loaded and 0.60% CO
idling, and
15 ppm HC loaded, just squeaked by with 218 ppm HC idling.  In AZ we have
equipment
checks, so I have to have all that stuff on there.
If you have a good shop near you, ask them to just tune it up for emissions,
they
will most likely turn up the idle and maybe play with the timing, but if they
have a
good analyzer they should be able to get it into the range you mentioned,
because,
as you see by my car, it can be done and then some.
By the way, these are the best results I've ever had.  A hint: i don't know how
the
tests are run in your state, but in AZ it pays to go early in the day, as they
don't
clean out the sniffers all day.
YMMV etc.
good luck