Options for lowering CO (emissions)

To: "MG-BBS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Options for lowering CO (emissions)
From: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 18:00:33 -0400
Listers,

Car specs: '79B with rebuilt non-biased HS4's. No cat (obviously).

Last week: Car failed on CO percentage (5.06 percent). My CO meter showed only
2 percent at idle although state does a rolling road test. Airpump frozen. HC
and NOX readings were very low. State allows 3.56 percent CO max.

This week: After consulting various MG related archives, it appears that an
airpump would lower the CO. Installed new rebuilt airpump after roto-rooting
the air-rail and head ports. Check valve OK. Timing good and carbs leaned out
about as much as I dare. Valve clearances set up normal.
Failed on CO again (actually a little higher) and again HC and NOX were low.

OK, what are my options, if any, other than going back to the ZS (yep, I still
have it all, but REALLY don't want to change back!)?

Mike
'79B