High idle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: High idle
From: gc <litfuse@isp01.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 13:43:39 -0400
I finished a swapover from a ZS to twin HIF4s and I love it.  The car is a
1980 LE with a 1972-ish HC detoxed motor
The dizzy appears to be from a '78 or '79.  The carbs have K&N filters and
AAA needles.

My problem:  High idle that won't drop down below 2200 when warm.
Adjusting screws not even touching bottom.
Haven't found any inleakage of air.  Mixture seems right, at least for that
idle.

Confounding, possible related problem: timing.  I don't have a modulated
vacuum port on the carbs, so I used a fitting on the intake manifold.  When
I remove the line (and plug the port), idle comes right down.  Reconnect,
and vrooom!

Timing (advance) or mixture problem?  Seems to run GREAT, otherwise.