Re: Buying from eBay sellers in the UK (WAS: Getting GBP in US)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying from eBay sellers in the UK (WAS: Getting GBP in US)
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:08:33 -0400
Any halfway decent sized bank will have an international banking division
that can handle this for you.  I often do stuff in the reverse (for my
business, not MG-related) where someone overseas wants to pay... three options:

1) I do most transactions by credit card, so the cc company does the
conversion (favorable to them, I'm sure).  That seems to be out for you, so...

2) Wire transfer.  Direct deposit from one bank to another.  Just watch out
for fees - there may be a fee on both the originating end AND the receiving
end.  Fees will probably be about $15 coming from overseas to US, not sure
about reverse.

3) A check drawn on a UK bank and in sterling.  Most banks have partnership
agreements with other banks (particularly in London) so your bank's
international banking division can arrange to have a check cut and
delivered on your behalf from a bank in the U.K..

You seem to be a bit price-sensitive, so I would say this... getting a
check or a wire transfer will cost some money.  Maybe $15 or $20.  If that
seems high relative to the value of what you're buying, then I would
suggest that if you have a low-value item, that the difference in exchange
rates between $1.44 and $1.50 on paypal or whatever will not be significant
for lower cost items.

At any rate, there will be some cost incurred to get it from there to here.

- Tab