Re: Starter not working

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter not working
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:21:04 EDT
In a message dated 5/16/02 6:19:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
prsmith@ns.sympatico.ca writes:

> When I turn the key, there is no clicking from the solenoid and no
> indication of power reaching the solenoid.  Interior lights and headlights
> are bright.  Interior lights do not dim when the key is turned.  I cleaned
> the battery terminals and ground strap mounting point on the body.  All
> battery cells have sufficient electrolyte.
>
> What should I look at next?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Bad ignition switch, bad wiring to or from the ignition switch, bad starter
relay, bad cables to or from starter relay.

You can check the starter itself by removing it from the car, hold it in a
vise, and use jumper cables from the battery to spin it.  Hook positive to
the cable post and touch negative to a mounting ear.  If the starter spins
freely (and they do spin with a vengeance!) it is probably fine.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"