Re: MGA Clutch

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Clutch
From: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 15:44:07 -0400
When I called Moss they suggested I get the carbon faced bearing, which is
what I will do.  I was hoping it was a hydraulic problem, but I don't think
I will be so lucky.  I had been having trouble getting it to go into gear
and would pump the clutch pedal a few times and it would engage, this made
me think it is in either the M/C or slave.  The last time it did this, just
before not working at all, I tried to get it to go into gear and it balked,
I pumped the clutch pedal a for several strokes and got it into first,  it
drove like it was totally in gear, shifted to 2nd then 3rd, same
performance.  Coasting downhill pushed in the clutch to downshift at a stop
sign and it started making a grinding/rattling noise.  I plenty of pedal
pressure and when I let out on the clutch the clattering stopped.  Anyway,
going to have to pull the engine and while it is out will replace all from
throw out bearing to pressure plate.  Also, going to replace as many seals
and gaskets I can get at without dismantling the engine completely.  Took
the car to a local garage to have them pull the engine etc... I did it twice
on an other MGA and doubt I will do that again.  The only thing I will pull
out now will be my check book.
Mike