FW: VDO Gauges

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: VDO Gauges
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 09:10:34 -0700
Seconding Lawrie:

        Replacing the original gauges is just like replacing the Lucas
electrical system.  Chances are that the replacements are more of a problem
than the originals, and there is no documentation when they do have
problems.

        There are good fixes and there are DPO fixes.  Been there, done
both, now convinced that the factory had pretty good ideas most of the time
so long as the DOT or EPA were not involved.

        Changing bits to tailor the vehicle to specific uses is another
matter.  Mechanical 360 degree gauges are still one of my pet loves, but I'm
willing to live with the leaks and seized capillary bulbs to enjoy the
fluctuating needles.

K.

Oops, silly me.  Almost forgot to answer Mike's question.

VDO is a brand of gauge.  Stock in Porshees, and other non brit stuff.  They
make a good OE unit, but their aftermarket stuff is typical modern
lightweight plastic.  Usually seen with black surround, modern lettering and
orange needles.

IMHO  Smiths and Jaeger are one of the things that makes a brit car brit.  I
did use an obscene collection of Sun gauges when I built in MGB GT V6 that
looked really classic and matched the originals pretty well (chrome rim,
white pointer).

Sun 360 degree
Water Temperature
Oil Pressure
Oil Temperature
Fuel Pressure

Sun 90 degree
Amps
Volts

stock
fuel level

see I told you it was an obscene collection.  I got better.