Re: angle drive

To: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>,
Subject: Re: angle drive
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 20:10:29 -0600
There is a brass(?) piece in there that the stud would have been pressed
into.  Just find the appropriate square stock, slightly less than 1/8" and
available from hardware stores.  Slip it into this brass thing and solder it
from the back to fix it in place.  I used 1/8" stock and sanded it all
around until it was the right size.  I think the piece you need is 1.5
inches long, but you should be able to figure it out.  The brass thing is
pressed into the gear and it is easiest to get it out of the gear to do the
fix.  They don't take a lot of force, an appropriate drift and a few hammer
blows should do it.

If you don't have the angle drive open yet, and thus none of this makes
sense, that is also easy.  The cap opposite the stud is held on by three
points where the body of the angle drive is hammered over it, I don't
remember what these marks are called.  Just get rid of these three points
and give the stud area a tap and the cover, gear, and a couple of washers
will fall out the back.  I don't remember the order of the washers (one is
cupped) but test fit everything after you are done and assemble it such that
there is no endplay.

After you are done, give the rim a few hits with a punch/drift to make the
same kind of marks to fix the cap back in place.  The whole process should
take less than 1 hour and requires little more than common sense.

james