further request/ tuning

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: further request/ tuning
From: Aubrey Schneider <aschneider@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 11:46:33 -0700
Hello Listers,

        MGB MK 2 1798 cc.

After passing Aircare(SMOG) I have been experiencing hesitation,
missing, loud popping under compression (down hill) & now, very
difficult starting.

You may recall my saying that it ran better with choke out.
This is what I've done & the consequences.

Increased fuel flow through dashpot by 1 turn (richer)
re-checked dizzy gap, re-did timing.
All above to no avail.

What I think. Firstly the compression ratio is more than spec, somwhere
about 10:1. With higher compression, do the plugs (NGK, type N9's of
Champion) require a different setting other than spec @ 035" & does the
dizzy (point gap) have to be set to a setting other than spec @ 16?
Does the timing need to be altered due to the higher compression & if
so, what value BTDC?

With the setting on the ZS (should have mentioned that earlier, sorry)
running I believe rich, I'm also confused by the fact of pulling the
choke out (richer, or less air, don't know which) settles the motor down
quite considerably & gives it more pick-up. I have also disconnected the
vacuum advance due to a leak(doesn't hold vacuum when sucking on it)

I have itemised the above, as I notice a few folks have recently joined
the list & they may wish to keep for future references.
While being confusing & somewhat irritating, it is also most, most
intriguing.

Your advice please & thank you
Aubrey 75B