Re: Newbie Questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie Questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 11:37:57 -0700
Congratulations on your acquisition. The symptoms you describe are not
unusual for a well-used B.

The steering wander could be caused by any of a number of things, from
alignment to the condition of the tie rod ends and the steering rack. I
would recommend a thorough front end service, with new bushes, followed by
an alignment. I wouldn't worry about the rack just yet, unless the boots are
obviously damaged, indicating it has been without oil.

I don't know how the shocks could be too firm, unless a heavy-duty valve
body has been substituted, or a too-heavy oil has been used. I'm not sure
how you would determine if either of these were the case. You could try to
replace the oil on principle.

Adjusting the striker plate may help it latch, but your door probably is
sagging at the hinges. I don't know if there are any cut-and-dried solutions
for this, other than bushing the hinges. Possibly someone on the list has
done this and can offer more useful advice.

The dull finish on the windshield frame is original. In later years the side
pieces were also dull finish. I imagine you could buff it out if you wanted
it brighter, but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

A valuable book with information on these originality issues is "Original
MGB" by Anders Clausager. There are also several books on MGB restoration
that could could help with the mechanical aspects. Good luck.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149