Re: Snaps for tonneau on Mk I MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Snaps for tonneau on Mk I MGB
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:10:50 -0700
Passenger side air vent?? What is that?

Defroster vent? Heater vent? The only air vent is the big flap in the
middle. I'm having a hard time seeing how it would connect to any of these.
I've never seen anything like that -- presumably an innovation intended to
reduce flapping... (Heim's Hypothesis: ALL tonneau innovations are intended
to reduce flapping).

I would agree with Kelvin about the passenger door front snap -- you
definitely want it for driving. Mine has them on both doors, and it's not a
bad idea if you tend to leave it out under the tonneau in all weather (like
I do)...

My 66 also has a snap about 2 inches to the rear of the square clip for the
top. This is in addition to the line of studs. This particular snap is
important because it keeps the triangular corner of the tonneau from
flapping on the driver's side, or both sides when you have a passenger in
the car. It sounds like you have this one.

The precise placement of any of these will vary, depending on what sort of
cover was first fitted, since, as Kelvin notes, it wasn't a factory
installation, and various brands of cover with slightly different designs
have been available over the years. I personally would be inclined to buy a
high-quality tonneau cover at this point and confirm the location of the
necessary snaps, before committing to paint; that is, if I was that
concerned about the matter.

In reality, there are no extra snaps, only missing accessories...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149