RE: Cause of dead battery found

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cause of dead battery found
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:42:18 -0600
> I tried hooking the test lamp between the negative battery cable and
ground.

I assume you mean between the negative battery cable and the negative
post on the battery?

> I opened the door and the courtesy light and the test light both lit
up, so I am assuming that is where the
> drain was coming from (that probably also explains why the bulb was
missing when I bought the car).

Zach, what you describe is what is suppose to happen.  When the test
light is on there is something electrical running.  Your courtesy light
is supposed to come on when the door is open.  So, yes, when the door is
open the courtesy light comes on and so does your test light.  That's
normal.

If you turn things on; like when you opened the door, the test light
will light.  But that's not the objective here.  The light is to test
what electrical item is running when the car is just parked.

Lets start over.  Do the test light thing again.  If the light isn't on,
no drain.  No problem.  Look for some other problem, like your
alternator/generator.  (or a defective battery)

If the light is on, disconnect things until the light goes off.  Then
you know what made the light come on, which then becomes the offending
item.

Larry Hoy