Re: British Car Week Report

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British Car Week Report
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:10:52 -0700
Bah, it's British Car Week and the B decides to throw a snit.

I went by Dennis's house to scrounge his old exhaust system, and on
attempting to leave, the B developed a nasty misfire. We poked around a bit,
ineffectually we thought, but after a while it seemed to be running
smoothly, so off I went.

Well, about 2 miles down the road it started up again. Bucking and
stumbling, mostly above 3000rpm, with bouts of extremely violent backfires,
often accompanied by bursts of black smoke from the exhaust (BTW Dennis, if
there had been anything left in that glasspack, there isn't now <g>). Then
just when I would be looking for a place to pull over, it would clear up for
a few minutes.

The last few times it acted sort of like this, it was a Grose-jet unscrewing
itself in the float bowl. But I recently went in and tightened them both
down with a proper-sized socket and Locktite, so I doubt it's that again
(though I'll check).

Oh, and I have a load of extra work this week, and no plans to go anywhere,
so I probably can't get to this until next weekend.

Since it gets driven every week, it probably thinks BCW means it gets a week
off!

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149